24 June 2012

Another feast

Ever since I've been back, I've become the one in charge of catering, at least for the most part for dinner. Sometimes I brew some kind of soup or broth when/if I go home to shower and nap, but for the past few days I'm so uninspired and mum's appetite has been steadily declining.

So it's mostly take out I buy. Not just at any food stall on the street, but I've been going to restaurants around us mum has frequented in the past. Taiwanese, Shanghainese, Sichuan cuisine, there are three or four fancy places mum liked to eat at, and I know more or less what she likes to order. I just order, usually some kind of fried rice or noodle with a number of savoury dishes. The price always shocks me at the end... Taipei has become so expensive, but really, if every meal could be the last, what does it matter? As long as mum can eat a little, as long as mum can taste a bit of that taste that she used to so enjoy, then it is worth it.

Tonight: boneless boiled chicken, stewed sea cucumber and pork tendons in brown sauce, gingko braised tofu, stir fried kankoon, bamboo chicken soup, Sakura fried rice and dried turnip fried rice.

It's going to be another feast!

No comments: