20 June 2012

The phone call

I called my 'small' uncle (mum's youngest brother) in the afternoon, but could not reach him. The reason why I called was because I wanted him to know about mum's condition. And in a way, also to urge him to come see mum.

He just called back. He had seen pictures of us and mum on facebook, one with her and I on the balcony taken last week, and another one from today, of me washing her hair in the special bathroom. "Your mum looks well on the pictures..." he said.

I didn't know how to respond. When my uncle asked how mum is, I said she has been sleeping a lot. "Even after a long night of sleep, she sleeps and is very drowsy. She sleeps and sleeps, and eats very little. The doctor said it's a sign..."

"I understand," my uncle  suddenly sounded solemn and sad. How could he not?

"I wanted to call and let you know earlier. I know how close you two are..."

"Yes, 'big' sister has always been so good to me..." he said.

I was almost crying. Perhaps he was too. "And you have been so good to her, to us..." My uncle really has, always willing to step in to lend a hand, whether financially or otherwise. He treated mum on a trip to visit us the children a few years back when mum had very little money. He paid for mum's flight to Canada last year, saying he wanted a part in realising a dream of hers. He paid upfront the costs of the spinal surgery, and was there waiting outside the operating room last December... He has been so good to mum, and visits her almost every single week.

"I will come up either tomorrow or the day after," he said.

"Thank you..."




No comments: